SIERRA STUDENT COALITION’S SUMMER PROGRAM (SPROG)
SUMMER 2010: BE A FORCE FOR CHANGE
Make an investment in yourself, in your world and in your future. Attending Sprog will provide you the opportunity to learn and hone your skills for improving your community and your world.
SPROG is a week-long youth leadership and grassroots organizing training program, led by the nation's top youth organizers. You’ll develop your organizing and leadership skills, network and bond with fellow young change-makers, engage in fun activities, and enjoy tasty vegetarian cooking. Not only will you come away changed, you'll have the skills and confidence to be a FORCE for CHANGE!
There may be a dozen other things you could choose to do this summer…so why choose to take a week for SPROG? Here’s why:
Right now, we’re seeing our future slip away. Many of our leaders are failing to react to the gravity of climate change and the impact it will have on our future. We can’t sit back and let our future be fueled by fossil fuels, when we know there are better alternatives. If we don’t raise our voices and take a stand, our future will be one choked with coal, oil-slicked water, and communities living in fear of nuclear catastrophe.
But we CAN reclaim our future and rebuild our communities and our economy! Imagine communities coming together everywhere, insulating and weatherizing every home, putting solar panels on every roof, and erecting windmills across the horizon.
Change only happens when we organize, and organizing is a craft that must be learned like any other. As youth, we have a special role to play in demanding more from our leaders, in becoming tomorrow’s leaders today. At Sprog, you’ll learn the skills you need to be a FORCE for CHANGE:
- Public Narrative: The art of telling your story in a way that moves others to act;
- Leadership Development & Team Building: Engaging volunteers, helping them become leaders, and developing an effective team;
- Strategic Campaign Planning: Setting goals and devising a winning strategy, planning and implementing your campaign for change;
- Communication Skills: How to frame issues and talk about them in a way that speaks to values; use the media to get your message out;
- Anti-Oppression: Examining how dynamics of power and privilege play out in our organizing work, and exploring how we can become more inclusive, diverse and welcoming; and
- Grassroots Tactics: Strategically applying various tactics like tabling, event planning, coalition building, fundraising, and more!
This summer, we can go on with our normal, busy lives, and watch our future slip away…OR, we can choose to rise to the greatest challenge we have ever faced, come together to learn the skills we need to create the future we all deserve. It’s your choice!