Wes Alum Eli Allen '09 wants to let you know about an amazing job opportunity in Baltimore:
"This is a one year AmeriCorps VISTA position to expand Civic Works' current green job training programs, develop additional training programs, and expand our home energy efficiency business. This has been my position for the past year and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Over your year of service, you will gain experiences unmatched by most typical entry-level jobs. Over the past year I have written million dollar grant proposals, helped develop a new green jobs training program, launched a home energy efficiency marketing campaign, and started an advisory board. Seriously, at most other organizations this type of work is done my seasoned professionals with years of development experience. However, because this is a VISTA position, we're looking for recent college grads like you.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone, (410-929-6757). Please see below for more information on the position."
Green Projects Development Coordinator (AmeriCorps VISTA)
Would you like to make a tangible difference in the fight against poverty? Work for a greener future? Help shape the rapidly expanding home energy efficiency industry?
Civic Works, a non-profit leader in green jobs training and home energy efficiency, is hiring a Green Projects Development Coordinator. The Coordinator will work with the Green Projects Director to expand the size of Civic Works’ current green jobs training programs, develop additional career training programs, and expand our home performance business. Recent graduates gain the kind of real-world experience they can’t find in a typical entry-level job.
Civic Works’ green programs have been highlighted by Green for All, The Washington Post, and the US Council of Mayors. Civic Works operates 12 programs in the areas of Community Revitalization, Education, Energy Conservation, and Workforce Development. In addition to providing green job training opportunities, we convert vacant lots into community gardens, rehabilitate homes for low-income residents, improve home energy efficiency for low-income residents, and tutor and mentored thousands of students in Baltimore City and County schools.
The mission of Civic Works’ Green Projects is to harness the power of green jobs as a pathway out of poverty for Baltimore residents. The purpose of this position will be to develop and expand Civic Works’ Green Careers Initiatives. Since 2003 our B’More Green program has prepared unemployed and underemployed Baltimore residents for brownfields mitigation careers. Beginning in the summer of 2010, Civic Works will start offering an Energy Efficiency Retrofit Installer training course. Along with these training programs, Civic Works operates a full service home performance company, offering energy audits, energy retrofits and cool roofs.
AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Created in 1965 by President John F. Kennedy, VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for more than 40 years. Through AmeriCorps VISTA, you’ll find the fulfillment that comes from using your knowledge and skills to help those in disadvantaged circumstances turn their dreams into reality.
VISTA members commit to serve full-time for a year at a nonprofit organization or local government agency, working to fight illiteracy, improve health services, create businesses, strengthen community groups, and much more. With passion, commitment, and hard work, you’ll create or expand programs designed to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. For more information, see http://www.americorps.gov/for_individuals/choose/vista.asp.
* Conduct strategic planning and a needs analysis to determine opportunities for expanding Civic Works’ green careers programs.
* Prepare accurate and persuasive grant proposals with strict adherence to funder’s guidelines.
* Establish and implement an educational marketing campaign to motivate homeowners to implement residential energy efficiency retrofits.
* Design and implement a new Solar Installer training curriculum that will prepare trainees for jobs in the renewable energy sector.
* Maintain and develop relationships with community stakeholders.
* Develop a plan for program sustainability.
* Regularly contribute posts on energy efficiency topics to Civic Works’ blog and new media sites.
* Bachelor’s Degree
* Strong analytical and organizational skills
* Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work under strict deadlines
* Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must
* Ability to recognize problems, develop innovative solutions and implement them
* Ability to successfully develop and cultivate relationships with community leaders
* Commitment to the environment and social justice
* Receive an end-of-service education award of $5,350 or a $1,500 stipend
* Modest living allowance of $11,500
* Student loan forbearance or deferment while in service
* Healthcare benefits while in service
* Childcare assistance while in service
* One year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job
* Access to the network of VISTA & VISTA alumni (170,000 strong)
* Gain experience and skills in marketing, community outreach, grant writing, coalition building, business and program development.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and a 3-5 page writing sample to email@example.com by May 15, 2010. This is a one year position with an anticipated start date of early July.
Civic Works Is An Equal Opportunity Employer.